This article was really helpful as we have already discussed many of these points in class on Tuesday. Generally, we have not touched on issues presented in the readings and thus, their content is less comprehendible- for me, anyways.
The article aided my understanding in the hierarchy of computer networks. All computers (connected to the web) are part of a network, LAN, WAN. In connecting to the network, each computer receives an IP (protocal) address that allows it to connect to larger preexisting networks. Each region has a POP (point of presence), or place where local users are able to access the network.
I also found the internet backbone section interesting. I was unaware that NSF had created the first network backbone. Additionally, I was surprised to discover that they continued to invest in backbone creation with IBM and MIT; this collaboration resulted in the creation of the T3 Network (1988).
2.Andrew K. Pace (2004). Dismantling Integrated Library Systems. Library Journal, 129(2), p.34-36. Full Text
This article is distinct in its practical, yet frank, tone. I find Pace's evaluation of ILS (integrated library systems) to be genuinely rooted in practical field concerns. His evaluation aids the reader in considering the multifaceted options, downfalls, and opportunities facing libraries due to the advent of increased formats and user requests. His evaluation that, "The vendor should not limit what customers can do with new products based on technical constraints of the standard ILS" is to be highly considered when transitioning into a new ILS platform (or in the act of overlaying a new platform over top the already existing. He leaves libraries with two choices;
"[libraries] can continue to maintain large systems that use proprietary methods of interoperability and promise tight integration of services for their customers. Or, they can choose to dismantle their modules in such a way that librarians can reintegrate their systems through web services and standards, combining new with the old modules as well as the new with each other."
These are vital options to consider, and should include an evaluation of each institutions budgetary constrains, institutional goals, and patron base.
3. Sergey Brin and Larry Page: Inside the Google machine.
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/sergey_brin_and_larry_page_on_google.html I really enjoyed this video. Initially, it was as if I was watching a science fair video- strange, unsettling, and incredibly awkward. However, Brin and Page eventually, and successfully, transitioned from awkwardly placed jokes and broad sweeping global network discussions to the more professionally based examination of their organization. I must say though, the world network program was pretty sweet (and disturbing) to watch. While the video did focus a considerable amount of time discussing Google's philanthropic efforts, they also discussed their business practices geared at embracing employees ideas and strengths as assets.
I think that Google's approach to their employees is brilliant. It encourages innovation for the company while creating a sense of ownership in the work. Maybe I should go find a job working as an archivist for Google. Do you think they are hiring?
ReplyDeleteI also think their philanthropic activities are brilliant. They are essentially building a new market of users for their products. Without an education it is impossible to access the technology. Provide that education and you create new potential users.
I've heard that working for Facebook is better: http://www.facebook.com/careers/?ref=pf
ReplyDelete