From the video I was able to efficiently grasp the following definition of Moore's Law: Moore's Law developed out of the prediction research of Gordon Moore. Moore concluded that the number of transistors created at optimum minimal cost doubled every two years. Nicholson develops a great perspective in innovation and time, citing the development of transistor miniaturization as highly divergent in its speed, accuracy, and longevity when compared to alternative products of technology. She quickly comments on the impossibility of doubling transistors indefinitely.
I found the video to be informative and intellectually stimulating. For me, basic human explanation is always a great buttress for unfamiliar topics.
2) Moore's Law Wiki:
Unlike the video, the Wiki went into depth explaining the limits, capacity, and driving forces surrounding Moore's Law. I gained a better understanding of the limited computer aspects impacted by transistors. (45% increase in transistor= 10-20% increase in processor speed). I had previously assumed, due to lack of understanding, that transistor increase resulted in a much more positive ratio. The wiki also provided interesting comments on the driving force behind transistor miniaturization technology, citing marketing and computer engineering as being large contributors. This is an interesting additive when thinking on the impeding limits of transistor miniaturization. Will this focus shift to additional aspects of transistors once their size decrease has been achieved?
3) Computer Hardware Wiki:
I found this Wiki to be most interesting in its combination of text and image. The ability to reference the image of each component made understanding their placement, role, and composition easier to grasp. I must admit, the definitions of each component were rarely in line with my previous conceptions surrounding the purposes of each component. Additionally, there were components which I had never heard referenced, including: Chipset, Bios, and Internal Buses. While each of these components seem vital to the overall operations of the computer I am at a loss to where I previously placed their responsibility. For me, I am sure, this stems from the overall lack of knowledge of the inter workings of technology. This lack is something I hope to work on in the future.
4) Computer History Museum:
WOW!
I had no idea this museum existed! I am impressed, though not surprised, by the expanse of their online exhibit collection. Their most intriguing (and interactive) application comes in the form of how the museum has chosen to present the multiplicity of computer applications. I found the structure of this presentation highly user friendly, interactive, and filled with information. I imagine, the act of finding a balance between presenting the history of the computer, and drawing the visitors attention constitutes a real give and take. The museum looks to represent the "age of information" through varied means of user interaction including: video, voice recording, and audio series. Great museum, cant wait to visit!
No comments:
Post a Comment