Database (DB) Wiki
The wiki helped me to form a more concrete definition of databases. Additionally, the wiki has really aided me in understanding how collections managers use the fluidity of database architecture to enhance manageability and mobility of their collections. The components section enabled me to categorize the operations and functions of a database. I was equally enlightened by the author's description of types of DBs. I found myself reflecting on the types of DBs i have used and interacted with throughout my life: End User DB, External DB, Hypermedia. It is a very enticing feeling to perspective work on the operational end of DBs, as I have always benefited from their existence. The wiki also aided my understanding of the technical advancements in indexing and replication practices. Great wiki.
Introduction to Metadata
Anne J. Gilliland
This article was monumental in my understanding of the origins, importance, and responsibilities associated with metadata.
How is it so simply- data about data?
Her discussion of the importance of understanding the critical roles of different types of metadata as a means of ensuring access, establishing authority, and stabilizing the preservable qualities of cultural heritage, is fundamental to future information managers. I employ everyone who reads this article to think deeply on their perspective responsibilities as custodians of information. Deciding on a schema becomes increasingly vita as the plethora of object types and available data structures continue to grow exponentially. I enjoyed and benefited from her discussions of available structure standards. Her section on establishing authenticity standards speaks loudly to the increased presence of User Created Metadata (Blogs, Flicker, etc.). This article enhanced my ability to draw connections between the actions of society and the responsibility of information collectors and managers.
An Overview of the Dublin Core Data Model
Eric J. Miller
This article was more dense than the other two. DCES- Dublin Core Element Set- supports cross-disciplinary resource discovery. The most telling portion of this article is Miller's description of DCMI's functional requirements.
1. Internalization
2. Modularization
3. Element Identity
4. Semantic Refinement
5. ID of Encoding Themes
6. Specification of controlled vocab
7. ID of structured compound value
The data model insists four standards:
1. Both writer and reader must understand the the terms to mean the same thing
2. Communities may choose to utilize richer semantic definitions
3. A set of compound values are vital as the model's output will be commonly used as an authority.
4. Community themes must be clarified.
I too was impressed with the Gilliand article. It behooves librarians to think carefully about the about the vast amounts of metadata we have to generate and manage. Having a good database could easily be the line between having a good collection and not.
ReplyDeleteI read the database wiki from a very general perspective and appreciate how you applied it to your own personal experience. I also appreciated your insight into how databases "enhance" collection management in libraries.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGilliland's article was very informative, especially concerning the views presented on authenticity. I think her comments on the future should be kept in mind by those of us just entering the field.
ReplyDeleteSorry about the above. I pushed the wrong button!