1. Data Compression. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression
Data compression is an interesting and semi confusing topic, for me.
Compression: the process of encoding information using fewer bits than the encoding representation. Compression is used to optimize disk space.
In practice, lossless and lossy compression are easy enough to grasp.
Lossless- complete algorithem, through exploitation of statistical redundancy the data can be compressed and decompressed without change or error.
Lossy- data compression through perpetual coding. This form of compression is only acceptable when minimal data loss is acceptable.
The only past experience I have had with compression is the lossless compression of music files onto a cd. At the time, I must admit, I knew absolutly nothing considering the difference between lossless and lossy compression. I am sure that this lack of understanding resulted in some, if not all, of the aggrevation I felt while attempting to compress those music files. This may be in part due to my additional lack of understanding that for compression to be successful both the sender and reciever must both recognize the schemes being used.
2. Data compression basics (long documents, but covers all basics and beyond):
http://dvd-hq.info/data_compression_1.php
I found this article most interesting in its description of Run Length Encoding (RLE). Before reading this section, I do not believe I was able to grasp the steps of compressing data. Sensibly, Run Length encoding replaces the run (of the character) with a single digit followed by the length of the run.
3. Edward A. Galloway, “Imaging Pittsburgh: Creating a shared gateway to digital image collections of the Pittsburgh region” First Monday 9:5 2004 http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue9_5/galloway/index.html
This report offers an interesting glance into the process of working collaboratively on a digitization project. I found most interesting their examination of the challenges they faced in choosing a standard metadata format. I think there resolve to adopt 9 mappings in Dublin Core shows positive paths that can be taken in collaborative projects. Additionally, I like there decision to use the controlled vocabulary of LCSH. Finding common ground in a project with such a scope can be a real challenges, it sounds like they worked well to create a meaningful project.
4. Paula L. Webb, YouTube and libraries: It could be a beautiful relationship C&RL News, June 2007 Vol. 68, No. 6 0
This article discusses the ways libraries could, and have, used YouTube to spread information to their patrons, these include: instructional media, updated user information, and upcoming events.
This article raised a few questions for me, including:
1. Would individual institutions develop a formal guideline for the creation and format of their videos?
2. Who within the library would become responsible for monitoring these videos, let along producing, editing and uploading them.
I have used YouTube to share videos with my family and agree that it is a great venue for sharing. However, moving from video creation to posting does involve work..I wonder who's shoulders this would fall on.
3. Would funding for the work discussed above come out of libraries multimedia budgets, such as those for in house instructional media sessions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have been reading a number of articles regarding the problems with standardization across institutions. It seems that each institution has such unique needs that there is no consensus (that was a bit of a surprise). Hence, the need for simple standards like last weeks Dublin Core or MARC (now outdated) standards. It seems that every institution will continue on doing things its own way in order to meet its mission goals; and it will fall to users to sort things out.
ReplyDelete